I know that putting up the tree is a tradition many people look forward to each year, but it’s not one of my favorites. For me, putting up the Christmas tree ranks about equal with assisting Carlos with a home repair, because that is pretty much what it devolves into.
Arguments had while putting it up:
• Whether or not the tree smelled funky from being in the closet all year.
• Where to put the tree.
• Whether the tree would scratch up surrounding furniture.
• How loud holiday music should be playing while the tree is being put up, (apparently I like it too loud.)
• How tall to make the tree, (there’s a third section I didn’t want added to the bottom which brings its height all the way to the ceiling.)
• What to put on the tree, (the boys always try to ruin my color scheme.)
• Whether capiruchos make good ornaments, (they do.)
• Who dropped metal hooks on the carpet.
• Where to plug it in.
• Why all the lights weren’t coming on.
• Whether “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber is a good song or not, (Surprisingly, I say it is.)
Now that it’s done, everyone is happy again. Time to turn the music up, grab some conchas and hot chocolate and cuddle.