I decided to surprise Carlos by making a batch of leche poleada today but I tweaked my usual recipe and it came out even better, so of course I want to share the new version with all of you!
Leche Poleada (Salvadoran Vanilla Custard)
5 rounded tablespoons cornstarch
4 cups 1% milk
3 egg yolks
1 cinnamon stick
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
ground cinnamon (for sprinkling on top)
1. In a blender add milk, sugar, egg yolks and cornstarch. Blend for 15 to 30 seconds until well combined.
2. Pour the mixture into a pot over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick and vanilla extract.
3. Stir regularly until the mixture thickens. (Don’t be too quick to remove it from the stove. You want it to be the texture of pudding. After 5 minutes, if it isn’t thickening, turn the heat up a little and stir a little less regularly.)
4. Remove from heat. Remove the cinnamon stick.
5. To serve warm, serve immediately. To serve cold pour into individual ramekins, bowls or even disposable plastic cups, and allow to chill in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Right before serving sprinkle ground cinnamon on top.
This recipe makes about 6 servings.